Social Icons

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Self Introduction



A.
Introducing oneself is much more difficult because here you are totally on your own and the other person is an absolute stranger to you. Barging into a discussion without a proper introduction, no matter how small, is like gate-crashing at a party. It is a critical first step that should never be overlooked. The first rule of introduction is “Never ask for the other persons introduction without giving yours first.” And how you can introduce yourself to the other person? It’s simple, go up to that person and introduce yourself by saying, “Hello, I am Venkatesh, Managing Director of Microsoft” and set the ball rolling.
To avoid being tongue-tied when you try to start a conversation with someone you don’t know, prepare a self-introduction that is clear, interesting, and well delivered. What you say about yourself will depend on the nature of the event, but in any case, it shouldn’t take longer than 8-10 seconds. Although practicing your introduction might at first seem silly and artificial, it will eventually help you make an introduction that sounds natural, confident, and smooth. Here are a few examples.

“Hi, my name is Swarnam. I’m glad to have this chance to meet you and learn….

Good Morning, I’m Venkatesh, a former summer intern at your Los Angeles branch.

“Hello, my name is Deepika. I’m a junior rhetoric major looking to find out what it’s like working in public relations and marketing.” [from an interview text]

If you are attending a discussion without a self introduction, you may find that your opinions will be mostly ignored by existing members. Be yourself. Be short and direct. Don’t try to sell yourself, your products or your service in your introduction. You can mention what you do, but quickly and subtly. Your introduction should express a little about who you are. Expose some of your style and personality.
In spoken English, I and Am are often joined to form a contraction that looks like this in writing “I’m” – and rhymes with words like “time” and “lime”
I am Chandu/Deepika/Swarna….
I am a student/teacher/….
I am an Indian/Bengali/…
I am rich /old/young/…..
I am eating/sleeping/working…..
I am a man/ girl/ boy….
I am tall/fat/sick/tired…..
I am happy / sad/ hungry….
I am smart/clean/pretty….
I am the owner / driver….

Exercise
Make 20 small sentences beginning “I am...”

  1. I am a good boy.
  2.  
  3.  
  4.  
  5.  
  6.  
  7.  
  8.  
  9.  
  10.  
  11.  
  12.  
  13.  
  14.  
  15.  
  16.  
  17.  
  18.  
  19.  
  20.  

Remember!
            The choice between and an is determined by sound. An is used before a word beginning with a vowel (a,e,i,o,u) sound.
E.g. An ass, an enemy, an ink-stand, an orange, an umbrella, an honest man, an heir.
It will be noticed that the words, honorary, hour, honest, heir begin with a vowel sound, as the initial consonant h is silent. A is used before a word beginning with a consonant sound( b,c, d,f,g,h,j,k,l,m,n,p,q,r,s,t,v,w,x,y,z) A boy, a reindeer, a woman, a yard, a horse, a hole, Also a university, a union, a European, a unicorn, a useful because these words ( university, union, etc.) begin with a consonant sound, that of you. Similarly we say, a one-rupee note, such a one, a one eyed man, because one begins with the consonant sound of Some Native speakers use an before words beginning with h if the first syllable is not stressed.
An hotel (More common: a hotel)
An historical novel (More common: a historical novel).
Take note of the sound at the beginning of a word when deciding whether to use a or an

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH